Managing Director, Research and Action Hub
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Senior Manager/Supervisor
The Institute for Women’s Policy Research (IWPR) is the nation’s preeminent think tank committed to achieving economic equity for women and eliminating structural and institutional barriers to women’s full participation in the workforce and society.
IWPR’s mission is to build knowledge and evidence to support policies that help grow women’s economic power and influence in society, close inequality gaps, and improve the economic security and well-being of girls, women, and families. We generate the ideas that build power and economic equity for all women.
Statement on Racial Equity and Intersectionality
At IWPR, we believe social and economic mobility in the United States is determined and influenced by race, ethnicity, class, gender identity, sexual orientation, and other markers of difference. In working to achieve economic equity and to better understand the experiences of all women in the workforce and in society, we use both racial equity and intersectional frameworks in our research and analysis to help generate strategies and solutions that are grounded in the economic realities of women and families. We also prioritize building an inclusive and welcoming work environment that values the diverse perspectives and experiences of staff in its research and efforts to improve gender and racial equity.
The Managing Director, Research & Action Hub is responsible for leading to IWPR’s new research and action hub that works to accelerate women’s power and influence in society and in the workforce; build the long-term economic security of women and families; and build an eco-system of research and policy centers designed to magnify impact and leverage research and evidence to grow women’s economic, political and social power. They will also be responsible for providing and managing grants to U.S. based research and policy centers for commissioned original research; building and managing a learning community of diverse stakeholders and leaders; and will help to shape IWPR’s editorial voice through original writing and opinion editorials, and research.
The Managing Director, Research & Action Hub is a forward-thinking, goal-oriented collaborative leader who enjoys working in a fast-paced, high impact environment. They have excellent writing and editing skills and possess deep knowledge and experience with racial equity and intersectional frameworks and approaches and knows how to analyze economic and related data using these frameworks; They also have experience with translating high-level research for broad audiences and working across programs to achieve high impact.
This position is based in Washington, DC and is full-time, exempt. The Managing Director, Research & Action Hub reports to the Vice President of Research.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Develop a strategic plan and vision for the IWPR Research and Action Hub;
- Build an eco-system of research and policy centers designed to magnify impact and leverage research and evidence to grow women’s economic, political and social power;
- Work across issue areas and teams to identify and assess emerging research gaps in the field and potential innovations and opportunities for IWPR;
- Lead the research and action hub team, including to expand IWPR’s Status of Women in the States Initiative;
- Identify and help to generate funding and support for the Research and Action Hub;
- Help guide and shape IWPR’s narrative and culture changes efforts;
- As part of the Extended Leadership team, help develop organizational priorities and direction and provide strategic guidance on IWPR’s external impact and influence; and
- Represent IWPR at high-level meetings and events.
Research and Policy Experience
- Ability to perform advanced, complex quantitative data analysis of large datasets and trends, utilizing network science and/or other statistical methods, including creating data visuals; developing, programing, and fielding online surveys; and conducting interviews and focus groups;
- Familiarity and experience conducting research and/or policy analysis on issues related to poverty and income inequality, the wealth gap, the wage gap and pay equity, women’s and family economic security, quality jobs, and/or educational equity and access;
- Experience using and integrating racial equity and intersectional frameworks and analysis in research study designs, written reports, and briefs;
- Ability to write high quality working papers, reports and presentations based on the data work and analysis; and
- Ability to write articles and opinion-editorials based on IWPR research and emerging issues
Program and Research Management
- Strong program and project management skills, and ability to manage multiple deadlines and competing demands;
- Develop Request for Proposal Process, provide technical assistance and support to applicants to IWPR Research Hub and Action Hub;
- Work with communications staff to support IWPR campaigns and narrative change efforts; and
- Organize convenings, symposia, and roundtables with national leaders, scholars, and practitioners and other key stakeholders.
Other Professional and Personal Qualities
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including presentation skills;
- Superior problem-solving, managerial, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across the organization;
- Effective, versatile, and action oriented; and
- Ability to work well under pressure with tight deadlines and multiple priorities.
- Record of successful partnership with a CEO and Board of Directors;
- Demonstrated ability to build a well-supported, carefully nurtured, and high-performing team; and
- Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across the organization.
Education and Experience
7+ years related experience managing high-level projects and programs. A PhD or equivalent experience/expertise in a related field (e.g., economics, sociology, political science, public policy, law etc.) is required.
This position is a Researcher V position in IWPR's compensation program. The salary for the Managing Director, Research & Action Hub is $115,000 to $150,000 and will be commensurate with experience. To learn more about the IWPR compensation program and role structures, please click HERE. IWPR provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.